Skip to main content

These are a few of my favorite pins...

I’m only a little addicted to Pinterest.  It is such a fun way to find ideas I didn’t know I needed and an even better way to organize and remember where things are on the Internet.  I like to think of it as an amped up “Favorites” list since I can actually see what the link is about.
Through the summer, I pinned library ideas like crazy.  I kind of feel bad for the people following me – 99% of whom are not librarians – because they got flooded with library and book related pins!  Of all the things that I found on Pinterest, below are the things that I have been most excited to learn about – either from the pin itself or from browsing the linked site a little more.
1.       Evernote – I honestly don’t remember where I first saw this productivity tool – but since I downloaded it and began using it, I’ve seen it mentioned numerous times.  Evernote is a way to keep track of notes, lists, food experiences etc.  You can download it to your desktop and download the app for your smartphone and link your accounts so that you can access your notes anywhere.  I have it on our home computer, my phone and on my school computer so that I can keep track of things from anywhere. This has been extremely helpful to me as I’ve started back for the school year and have needed to keep track of to-do lists, lesson ideas, links – and I use Evernote Food to keep track of recipes that I love.  I’ve even got a shared notebook with my husband and we keep track of our grocery list on it – so if one of us is at the store, we know what we need to pick up.
2.       PowToon – if you’ve read any of my other posts, I guess it’s probably clear that I’m really obsessed with this right now! It’s been such a fun way to engage students.  I used it as a preview of an introduction to who I am (since I’m new to my school this year) and I just finished creating a PowToon of the nonfiction section.  The kids really love the cartoon quality – and think I’m a tech genius.  The folks over at PowToons have really done a good job of helping make me look smart to the third graders ;)
3.       LiveBinders – I really wish I had known about this site sooner.  LiveBinders is a great way to create electronic binders that contain content that can be easily shared.  Binders have always been my choice of organization strategy – over file folders.  When I come across something I really like, I make sure I link it as a resource in one of my binders.  The purpose of the site is similar to Pinterest – it allows users to create a platform on which they can organize ideas and content.  The bonus here is that you can upload documents and include links that don’t have a picture to pin.  I created a Technology binder to help keep track of articles and tools I really like, and it’s something that I could share with my faculty once I have more content in it.
4.       E2Bn  - East of England Broadcast Network – has some pretty cool online collections (Myths and Legends & History’s Heroes) and tools that I cannot wait to try out.  Discovery Box especially seems like a great way to share research projects, and I hope to use it in some way with my 4th and 5th graders.  There’s also Picture Teller, Story Creator and Speech Maker to round out the available resources.
5.       50 Education Technology Tools Every Educator Should Know About- I just recently pinned this one (Evernote is on it) and as I was looking through the list, I realized there were a lot of sites I needed to study up on!  This is one of those that I think I will keep coming back to as I work on discovering new things.
6.       Tech Talk for Teachers: Let’s Get SMART – 21 tips for using a Smart Board.  Many of these are ones that I already knew, but number 7 – directions for inserting images without backgrounds into Smart Notebook files; number 19 – directions for dual display that allows you to show something on the Smartboard, while you work on something else on the same computer;, number 20 – with the newest version of the Smart Notebook software you can insert a web page into the notebook file; number 21 – an intro to using Voki with Smart Notebook 11.
7.       67 Books Every Geek Should Read to their Kids Before Age 10 This list is such a great mix of classics and newer fiction and poetry.  It really does a good job of covering all of the different genres as well – you’ll find books by Kinney, DiCamillo, Tolkien, Silverstein, Gaiman and more.  This is one I plan to keep handy at the circulation desk as quick recommendations for kids when I’m blanking outJ
I know there are a ton more than this, ones that I’ll rediscover or make use of later this year – especially because I end up being in the “pin now read later” category more often than not.  With so many ideas floating around out there in cyberspace, I am glad to have found such a fun way to learn about new ideas and pin things down that I want to try or read more about. 

What have you found on Pinterest that has helped you?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Library Centers for Kindergarten & First Grade

Center Inspiration After much debate at the end of last school year, I was able to get 10 extra minutes added on to each of my classes for this year boosting class library time from 35 minutes a week to 45 minutes a week for my fixed schedule.  For me, 35 minutes a week, just wasn't enough to pack in all the awesomeness I wanted to achieve.  It seemed like we would just be getting started into something great when it was time to go. I was thrilled to know that this year I was going to have the extra time to work with my classes on research skills and technology projects while working in more time to allow them to browse the shelves and look at books.  That being said, truth be told, I was completely freaked out about what to do with my kindergartners for 45 minutes. Did I mention in my former life, I was a high school English teacher?  Four years ago, my first two weeks in an elementary library were a complete culture shock to me. I was used to walking into a room and just say

Project Genre-fy the Fiction Section!

After a lot of thinking, I finally decided to take the leap this summer and move the fiction section of my elementary library from the traditional first-three-letters-of-the-last- name organization to a genre based organization. Now that the project is almost complete, I cannot wait to get the kids back in the library so I can show them! Deciding Factors There are many reasons individual teacher librarians might choose to genrefy their library.  For me, I was driven to start with the fiction section because I've noticed an alarming drop off in students checking out books by the time they get to fifth grade.  This drop off could be for any number of reasons: increased activities after school, loss of interest in the materials they see on the shelf, lack of time, or they could be overwhelmed by book after book organized by letter. I realized, too, that although my 3-5 graders don't ask for "funny" books or "animal" stories, they seem to get stuck on c

Digital Interactive Notebooks: Getting Started

Post appeared also on FtEdTech It's no real secret that I love Digital Interactive Notebooks.  I create them every chance I get and encourage teachers to use them for everything from long term Project Based Learning (PBL) projects to weekly unit work with vocabulary .   The Interactive Notebook (INB) has long been a staple of the classroom to engage students more directly with their notes.  The traditional interactive notebook often includes traditional student notes, questions, and interactives that students cut, fold, color and paste into their notebooks. You might find graphic organizers, pockets with measuring tools, data charts, and foldables that act as study aides.  In the NSTA article " Science Interactive Notebooks in the Classroom " Jocelyn Young explains the benefits of INB when she shares that " By using notebooks, students model one of the most vital and enduring functions of scientists in all disciplines—recording information, figures, and data.