Skip to main content

Tuesday Teacher Tips - March 5 2013

I'm wearing a lot of hats these days, and that has kept me from devoting time to writing posts.  I'm going to go back through my Tuesday Teacher Tips emails, and post a "best of the best" in my next few entries.

These are some tips I sent out to my teachers a few weeks back.  The focus here is on sharing ideas for uses of QR codes, characterization and a quick review of a new book, Each Kindness.

Using QR Codes with Art Work or Classroom Work
 
For yet another fun use of QR Codes, check out Langwitches Blog entry “Transliteracy QR Codes and Art”.  Transliteracy is a term that’s new to me, but basically it’s a term used to describe the use of different forms of media to communicate ideas effectively.   The blog entry describes having students use a voice recorder to describe their work. The voice recording is then uploaded to a website and the URL is used to create a QR Code, which is then attached to the student work.
How can we do this?
I would suggest using a program, such as Audacity for the sound recording. Then, upload the audio file to your teacher webpage or to a “cloud” based service like Dropbox or SkyDrive. Or, of course, Google Docs is always an option also. When you have uploaded your audio file, identify your URL for the file, then go to a QR Code generator like Kaywa. Save the QR Code you generated, insert it into a Word Document, then print it and attach it to the example of student work, and viola, you have instant access to a student artist, author or scientist explanation of his or her own work.
If you want to see this kind of project in action, be sure to check out the blog entry.
What are some possible uses for this kind of project?
This would be a great use of technology for an art show; for parent-teacher night, when we have student work on display for waiting parents to browse; for a student performance of a song, as an extra piece of information for big projects like: Wax Museum, Author Study, or Science Fair.

Spotlight on Characterization

CC.RL.3 deals with elements of characterization.  In considering indirect characterization, it might be helpful to teach students different mnemonics, like STEAL, which is suggested by Read Write Think.  We can get to know a character through: speech, thoughts, effect on others, actions, and looks.  It also helps to have a list of character traits on hand—check out this one from Read Write Think.
Graphic organizers can go far in helping students organizer their thoughts about a character.  Check out some Character Webs from Daily Teaching Tools for some new ideas.
A few picture books to use for characterization include: Where the Wild Things Are, Sendak; Ruby the Copycat, Rathmann; King Bidgood’s in the Bathtub, Wood; Sylvester and the Magic Pebble, Steig—or for a newer one, check out Each Kindness, Woodson.
 
Each Kindness by Jacqueline Woodson
Recently, I read Each Kindness by Jacqueline Woodson.  It is one of those realistic books that carry a striking moral that sticks in the memory and could generate thought provoking class discussion.
In the story, after a very powerful classroom lesson on kindness, Chloe realizes that she and her friends have been unfair in their judgment of Maya, a new student to the school.  But, it could be too late to make it up to her classmate.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Library Centers for Kindergarten & First Grade

Center Inspiration After much debate at the end of last school year, I was able to get 10 extra minutes added on to each of my classes for this year boosting class library time from 35 minutes a week to 45 minutes a week for my fixed schedule.  For me, 35 minutes a week, just wasn't enough to pack in all the awesomeness I wanted to achieve.  It seemed like we would just be getting started into something great when it was time to go. I was thrilled to know that this year I was going to have the extra time to work with my classes on research skills and technology projects while working in more time to allow them to browse the shelves and look at books.  That being said, truth be told, I was completely freaked out about what to do with my kindergartners for 45 minutes. Did I mention in my former life, I was a high school English teacher?  Four years ago, my first two weeks in an elementary library were a complete culture shock to me. I was used to walking into a room and just say

Project Genre-fy the Fiction Section!

After a lot of thinking, I finally decided to take the leap this summer and move the fiction section of my elementary library from the traditional first-three-letters-of-the-last- name organization to a genre based organization. Now that the project is almost complete, I cannot wait to get the kids back in the library so I can show them! Deciding Factors There are many reasons individual teacher librarians might choose to genrefy their library.  For me, I was driven to start with the fiction section because I've noticed an alarming drop off in students checking out books by the time they get to fifth grade.  This drop off could be for any number of reasons: increased activities after school, loss of interest in the materials they see on the shelf, lack of time, or they could be overwhelmed by book after book organized by letter. I realized, too, that although my 3-5 graders don't ask for "funny" books or "animal" stories, they seem to get stuck on c

Digital Interactive Notebooks: Getting Started

Post appeared also on FtEdTech It's no real secret that I love Digital Interactive Notebooks.  I create them every chance I get and encourage teachers to use them for everything from long term Project Based Learning (PBL) projects to weekly unit work with vocabulary .   The Interactive Notebook (INB) has long been a staple of the classroom to engage students more directly with their notes.  The traditional interactive notebook often includes traditional student notes, questions, and interactives that students cut, fold, color and paste into their notebooks. You might find graphic organizers, pockets with measuring tools, data charts, and foldables that act as study aides.  In the NSTA article " Science Interactive Notebooks in the Classroom " Jocelyn Young explains the benefits of INB when she shares that " By using notebooks, students model one of the most vital and enduring functions of scientists in all disciplines—recording information, figures, and data.