Skip to main content

Tuesday Teacher Tips - April 30, 2013 - Sumdog, Jacques Cousteau, Testing Motivators & 7 Steps of Story Telling

These were the Tuesday Teacher Tips I sent out to my teachers today.  A bit of a random collection of fun ideas for sure.
Click on underlined text to open links

Sumdog—engage students with math games

Sumdog has been on my “To Find Out About” list forever, and when our very own Miss Leftin, tried it out and gave rave reviews, I figured I shouldn’t wait until this summer to find out more about it.

The site, which is aligned to the Common Core, seems like an engaging way for students to practice math and compete against the computer or live with others.  As their teacher, you can set the levels for them to practice, and the site automatically adjusts to their ability level based on correct/incorrect responses, so that all students have a chance to experience success.  As students answer questions correctly, they earn coins, which can be spent in the game’s store to make improvements to their very own game avatar.

Sumdog allows teachers to create a free login.  Your students can play math games, you can set up or join your school (Miss Leftin created our school code—JES1), you can create free student logins, monitor your students live, run 10 progress reports and create 5 activities.  There is the option to subscribe for a premium account for $2 per student or a Math & English account for an introductory $4 per student.
Jacques Cousteau - from Wikimedia.org
Manfish: the Story of Jacques Cousteau
Need a biography read aloud that has connections to science & invention?  Check out Manfish: the Story of Jacques Cousteau by Jennifer Berne.
The story is an engagingly illustrated narrative of Cousteau’s life.
As an extension, follow up with the Cousteau Collection a free iPad/iPhone app that allows you to access the Cousteau Archive.  Download it now, because for the next seven weeks, until May 9th, they’re giving away Cousteau Red Hats;)  The app does require you to purchase “trading cards” so that you can view facts about Costueau’s accomplishments, but you get a free pack for signing up.
You may also want to check out the History of Cousteau’s Movie Camera for information about how he began underwater filming –or check out the English  YouTube channel on Cousteau.
Testing Motivators
Want to do something special for your kids during state testing?  Check out these cute ideas at the Fourth and Ten blog.  I love the “You are One Sharp Student” pencil idea.  Or how about these cute notes from Classroom Freebies. Print, cut and pass out to your class.  Here are a few more cute ideas from Primary Possibilities—I’m a fan any time you can give away blow pops, and this site has the perfect idea.
Every brain needs a break, so when the day’s testing session is over, you may want to check out some of these ideas for a reward:
· Create a class Harlem Shake video—just download the app and you’ll be a total rock star.  The app is free, but you have to pay to be able to save the video to your camera roll (I have the app and can help with this!)
· Give me a Brain Break by Barbara Gruener includes links to many different ideas
· Or check out my Brain Breaks YouTube playlist—featuring such classics as: Kung Fu Fighting, The Sid Shuffle, Boom Chicka Boom, and Super Mario Gangham Style
Seven Steps to a Perfect Story
I saw this late last week on Pinterest and had to share.  Seven Steps to a Perfect Story is an awesome graphic that could help students if they’re stuck writing.  
The graphic walks students through 7 steps of choosing the pieces of plot that will help them write.  In the first step they look at an overview of the story to understand it.  In the second step, they choose their plot type (overcoming the monster, rags to riches, the quest, etc).   In the third step, they choose their hero (unwilling, anti-hero, tragic, etc).  For step four, they choose the rest of their characters and are in step five are encouraged to observe the rule of threes (three stooges, three little pigs etc).  In step 6, which is an interesting addition, students are encouraged to choose their “media” - be it dance/performance, traditional storybook, video, digital story, song etc), and step 7 is the golden rule. 
The graphic follows a modified archetype structure that is very traditional in story telling and can help students to organize their thoughts and you could easily use it as inspiration for a writing lesson or prewriting exercise.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Library Centers for Kindergarten & First Grade

Center Inspiration After much debate at the end of last school year, I was able to get 10 extra minutes added on to each of my classes for this year boosting class library time from 35 minutes a week to 45 minutes a week for my fixed schedule.  For me, 35 minutes a week, just wasn't enough to pack in all the awesomeness I wanted to achieve.  It seemed like we would just be getting started into something great when it was time to go. I was thrilled to know that this year I was going to have the extra time to work with my classes on research skills and technology projects while working in more time to allow them to browse the shelves and look at books.  That being said, truth be told, I was completely freaked out about what to do with my kindergartners for 45 minutes. Did I mention in my former life, I was a high school English teacher?  Four years ago, my first two weeks in an elementary library were a complete culture shock to me. I was used to walking into a room and just say

Project Genre-fy the Fiction Section!

After a lot of thinking, I finally decided to take the leap this summer and move the fiction section of my elementary library from the traditional first-three-letters-of-the-last- name organization to a genre based organization. Now that the project is almost complete, I cannot wait to get the kids back in the library so I can show them! Deciding Factors There are many reasons individual teacher librarians might choose to genrefy their library.  For me, I was driven to start with the fiction section because I've noticed an alarming drop off in students checking out books by the time they get to fifth grade.  This drop off could be for any number of reasons: increased activities after school, loss of interest in the materials they see on the shelf, lack of time, or they could be overwhelmed by book after book organized by letter. I realized, too, that although my 3-5 graders don't ask for "funny" books or "animal" stories, they seem to get stuck on c

Digital Interactive Notebooks: Getting Started

Post appeared also on FtEdTech It's no real secret that I love Digital Interactive Notebooks.  I create them every chance I get and encourage teachers to use them for everything from long term Project Based Learning (PBL) projects to weekly unit work with vocabulary .   The Interactive Notebook (INB) has long been a staple of the classroom to engage students more directly with their notes.  The traditional interactive notebook often includes traditional student notes, questions, and interactives that students cut, fold, color and paste into their notebooks. You might find graphic organizers, pockets with measuring tools, data charts, and foldables that act as study aides.  In the NSTA article " Science Interactive Notebooks in the Classroom " Jocelyn Young explains the benefits of INB when she shares that " By using notebooks, students model one of the most vital and enduring functions of scientists in all disciplines—recording information, figures, and data.