Skip to main content

ChatterPix and Book Talks

I spent hours over the last few weeks putting together a presentation for 21st Century Book Talks, and then "The Technician" (my local computer genius) introduced me to the ChatterPix app, and a whole new idea for creating book talks was hatched!

ChatterPix, by Duck Duck Moose, is a hilarious app that allows you to take a photo, draw a line across an area of the photo, creating a mouth, then you add in a voice over.  Once complete, you have a video in which it appears that an object in the photo is talking.

You could easily have students do a 30 second book talk using this app.  All they would need to do is take a picture of the book cover using the app, select a character or object on the cover, and create a voice over that explains why someone should read it.  Here's an example of one I made for James Dean's Pete the Cat Old MacDonald Had a Farm.

How to Make it Happen

Open up the ChatterPix app

Choose Take Photo


Take a photo by pressing the camera icon or choose one from your library
Draw a line over the area you would like to appear to be speaking

Press the microphone icon at the bottom and begin recording your narrative.  You will have 30 seconds to talk. Press the box when finished. You can play back your recording, and if you're happy with it, press Next
 For the next step, you can add funny little stickers, frames and even text if you would like. Click Next.
 You can share by pressing the round icon at the bottom of the screen that has a box and arrow in it.  Choose to either email, share on facebook, YouTube or you can save it to your photos.  

If you save to your photos, you can access your ChatterPix for other things.

In this way you can save these short videos to your library webpage, share on your blog, add to Marc records in Destiny OR use it as an overlay for an Aurasma Aura.  Check out directions for creating an aura by clicking here.

Want to see the example I made?  Download the Aurasma app, scan the QR code with a QR code reader to follow my channel, then scan the cover of the book.

Scan first with a QR Code Reader - Aurasma App will open if it's on your device
With the Aurasma App open, scan this picture, you should see the ChatterPix
Here's just one more, fun way to get your students talking about books and sharing with others!

Comments

  1. Penguin Book Writers can leverage ChatterPix to create engaging book talks, adding a dynamic and interactive dimension to their promotional efforts. By incorporating this innovative tool, authors can captivate audiences and foster deeper connections with readers, enhancing the overall impact of their book marketing strategies.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Library Centers for Kindergarten & First Grade

Center Inspiration After much debate at the end of last school year, I was able to get 10 extra minutes added on to each of my classes for this year boosting class library time from 35 minutes a week to 45 minutes a week for my fixed schedule.  For me, 35 minutes a week, just wasn't enough to pack in all the awesomeness I wanted to achieve.  It seemed like we would just be getting started into something great when it was time to go. I was thrilled to know that this year I was going to have the extra time to work with my classes on research skills and technology projects while working in more time to allow them to browse the shelves and look at books.  That being said, truth be told, I was completely freaked out about what to do with my kindergartners for 45 minutes. Did I mention in my former life, I was a high school English teacher?  Four years ago, my first two weeks in an elementary library were a complete culture shock to me. I was used to walking into a room and just say

Project Genre-fy the Fiction Section!

After a lot of thinking, I finally decided to take the leap this summer and move the fiction section of my elementary library from the traditional first-three-letters-of-the-last- name organization to a genre based organization. Now that the project is almost complete, I cannot wait to get the kids back in the library so I can show them! Deciding Factors There are many reasons individual teacher librarians might choose to genrefy their library.  For me, I was driven to start with the fiction section because I've noticed an alarming drop off in students checking out books by the time they get to fifth grade.  This drop off could be for any number of reasons: increased activities after school, loss of interest in the materials they see on the shelf, lack of time, or they could be overwhelmed by book after book organized by letter. I realized, too, that although my 3-5 graders don't ask for "funny" books or "animal" stories, they seem to get stuck on c

Digital Interactive Notebooks: Getting Started

Post appeared also on FtEdTech It's no real secret that I love Digital Interactive Notebooks.  I create them every chance I get and encourage teachers to use them for everything from long term Project Based Learning (PBL) projects to weekly unit work with vocabulary .   The Interactive Notebook (INB) has long been a staple of the classroom to engage students more directly with their notes.  The traditional interactive notebook often includes traditional student notes, questions, and interactives that students cut, fold, color and paste into their notebooks. You might find graphic organizers, pockets with measuring tools, data charts, and foldables that act as study aides.  In the NSTA article " Science Interactive Notebooks in the Classroom " Jocelyn Young explains the benefits of INB when she shares that " By using notebooks, students model one of the most vital and enduring functions of scientists in all disciplines—recording information, figures, and data.