This post is part of a professional development session on iPads and will act as a resource later.
iPad Training SAMR Brainstorming Padlet for session 1 - brainstorm ideas for how to use the SAMR model/ different apps in your classroom. As an idea occurs to you, type it in [here] or add links to examples.
iPad Training SAMR Brainstorming Padlet for session 2 Click [here]
We Just Got iPads Now What?At the beginning of the 2013-2014 school year, I put together this getting started guide for teachers in my building. It provides some pointers on classroom management and basic maneuvers, as well as some great resources.Click [here] to see the S'more page.
Integrating iPads into InstructionIt's easy to get overwhelmed with the number of apps and the incredible amount of information on the web about using iPads in the classroom. Someone once told me to "sip from the technology waterfall, don't guzzle" and I think that's sound advice. Starting with a model for integrating technology like the SAMR model, developed by Dr. Ruben R. Puentedura, especially when you combine it with Bloom's Taxonomy can really help ground us in good method when we are trying to choose how best to get our students using technology.
The Thinglink below is an example of "App Smashing". I created an infographic using Piktochart and then linked resources on the page that you can come back to as a resource. In this Thinglink you will find an explanation for what the SAMR Model is, how it relates to Bloom's Taxonomy, and a number of ideas of what Digital Citizenship and Digital Literacy concepts you should be taking into consideration at each level and example apps that you could start with. These are all just examples, as you get more comfortable with the concepts you will find lots of room to grow.
If you are new to iPads in the classroom, keep it simple. Choose two or three apps from the Thinglink below to get really comfortable with before branching out to others.
To use the Thinglink, touch anywhere on the image below with your finger or mouse and icons will appear that will link you to other content. If you are having trouble seeing the links, go directly to the Thinglink page by clicking [here].
Need More Ideas?There's lots of ideas on the Internet. Search for "App Smashing" or "SAMR model" or check out some of these resources:
- Bloom's Activities and Verb charts - http://zaidlearn.blogspot.com/2009/07/use-blooms-taxonomy-wheel-for-writing.html
- Bloom's Taxonomy Planning Kit http://educatingmatters.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/blooms_taxonomy_teacher_planning_kit1.pdf
- PadWheel Poster http://www.unity.net.au/padwheel/padwheelposter.pdf
- SAMR Ladder - thinglink http://gettingsmart.com/2013/07/the-samr-ladder-through-the-lens-of-21st-century-skills/
- SAMR Model - http://www.schrockguide.net/samr.htmlTechChef - S.A.S.S.Y SAMR for Educators to Transform Education http://www.techchef4u.com/ipad/s-a-s-s-y-samr-toolkit-for-educators-to-transform-instruction/